turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing form 2555 for several years

Hello,

I am living abroad and want to file my tax return for 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Question 1: Should I fill both form 1040 and 2555 for each year?

Question 2: I fill form 2555 for several years at the same time, should I check 6a or 6b on them?

Thanks for helping out!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Every tax year has to be filed separately.  You cannot combine them.  You need to use the software for each year to prepare the returns for those years, and they will have to be printed, signed, and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed.  You need desktop software in order to prepare those tax  returns:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Note:  Mail each tax return separately in separate envelopes, and use a mailing service that will track it like UPS, Fedex or certified mail so you will know the IRS received it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for answer. I could send them separately if that helps. Do I need to file form 2555 for each year? What should the answer be to 6a/b (asking if I have filed form 2555 before and what year) if the tax returns of all three years all are sent the same day.

Each one of your tax returns has to include the form 2555 if it is applicable to that tax year.  So you will need to include it each time if necessary.  As stated previously, you cannot combine tax returns from different years.  Each tax year is completely separate, and it does not matter if you mail them on the same day.  The IRS receives an immense volume of mail.  Just because you mail your returns on the same day does not mean your returns will be received or processed at the same time.  Furthermore, each Form 2555 is dated with the tax year on the upper right corner.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Then I guess I have to answer 6b  on all 2555 forms right = "didn't previously file form 2555"?. As I have never filed form 2555 before the three separate tax returns I will file now.

Is that correct?

if you didn't file form 255 before 2014, you would indicate that on your return for 2014. If you file form 2555 with your 2014 return, you would indicate that you did file form 2555 with a prior return.

Ok so on the first 2555 (2014) I would say (6b) I didn't file the form before and the second 2555 (2015) I would say (6a) that I filed 2555 year 2014 and on the third 2555 (2016) I would say (6a) that I filed 2555 "2014 and 2015" or do I say only 2015? This inspite the fact as none of them are processed yet as I will send them in at the same day and it's possible that they arrive in a random order.

@snowracer2017   The key thing is the tax year that you enter the answer for line 6b for, not what order the IRS gets them in the mail.  As bine22 advised you, since the first TAX YEAR you say you need to file for is 2014, then answer that one accordingly, and so on for the subsequent tax years.

Thank you for your advice! So I will check 6b for 2014, then check 6a for 2015 saying 2014 was the last filed form and last check 6a for 2016 saying 2015 was the last filed form.

Correct!  Happy filing!

removed comment
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies