cjvaughn50

Filing as a student

So I am a full time student who also works full time and lives on my own. My parents haven’t claimed me on their taxes since I moved out two and a half years ago. However, last year they decided they would help pay for my tuition. Whatever they didn’t pay I would pay out of pocket. But, they never directly payed for the tuition. The money was given to me and then I immediately payed the university with a combination of their money and my money. So my big question is... can I still file as a student with a 1098 T form on my taxes even though most of my tuition was payed for by someone else? Can I still claim tax credits in my situation? Thank you for any help or advice given.

ColeenD3

Filing as a student

Yes. The credit belongs to you. The credit is yours whether you pay or a third party pays on your behalf.

ColeenD3

Filing as a student