Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal return: Under the summary “Deduction & Credits” section, what is shown in the software for federal and state income tax withholdings are different than what I entered from my W2. The local income tax is correct.

How and why is the software coming up with different numbers? Thanks for any feedback. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Federal return: Under the summary “Deduction & Credits” section, what is shown in the software for federal and state income tax withholdings are different than what I entered from my W2. The local income tax is correct.

@Lizy  

IF..if you are using the Desktop software. 

...............(Can also get with the Online software, but a bit more involved)

-----------------

Anyhow...with the Desktop software :

Switch to "Forms Mode" and open the Federal Tax Payments Worksheet.

That worksheet breaks down all the withholding by form type...and you can see if it came from some form you didn't consider.    IF any line there is wrong, you would go back to those form-types and check each for entry errors.

TaxPymtWkst_1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Is that one single W-2 the absolute only source of income you reported on  your tax return? (probably not) Keep in mind that what you're looking at is a "summary", not a "all the fine details" screen.  The summary will include any taxes paid to the IRS/state by any means. For example, if you paid estimated taxes to the IRS, that amount is included in the summary.

@Lizy  

IF..if you are using the Desktop software. 

...............(Can also get with the Online software, but a bit more involved)

-----------------

Anyhow...with the Desktop software :

Switch to "Forms Mode" and open the Federal Tax Payments Worksheet.

That worksheet breaks down all the withholding by form type...and you can see if it came from some form you didn't consider.    IF any line there is wrong, you would go back to those form-types and check each for entry errors.

TaxPymtWkst_1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies