Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Noune

Federal return rejected

My federal return was rejected indicating that spouse prior year PIN or spouse prior year AGI in the return header amount must match the efile database. I went to my 2018 return and confirmed that the amount entered was correct. My husband died on Dec 15, 2019. When I went back into Turbo Tax, it only gives me the option to correct the AGI. I confirmed the amount entered is correct. How do I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Federal return rejected

It depends. If you moved your name into taxpayer from spouse, change it back to keep your husband as the taxpayer.

For 2019, you will still file with your spouse and indicate in the My Info section that he has passed away. The filing status remains unchanged for the full year of the spouse's passing. 

You will need to add Form 1310, which is used to establish you as your husband's personal representative. As long as the Social Security Administration has already been notified of the taxpayer's death, you can proceed with the filing. Click here for: Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

Click the link to find out How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? 

Form 1310 is needed for the federal filing when you are identifying yourself as the personal representative, but there may be a different requirement for your state. 

For 2020, you will file single.

Our condolences for your loss.

IRS Resource: 2019 Publication 559: Survivors, Executors, and Administrators

@Noune

troutt81

Federal return rejected

I cant get my 2019 taxes because i cant not get in to my 2018 taxes on TurboTax i cant remember my email and password and username for 2018 and all i need is my 2018 AGI number from 2018 but can not get it from nowhere so what can i do...

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Federal return rejected

To recover your user name and password for the account used to file your 2018 taxes, contact TurboTax customer service for assistance.

Another place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2018 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

Lastly, you do not need your 2018 AGI if you print and mail your tax return.  The previous year AGI number is required as a security measure for e-filed tax returns.

[Edited 4/12/2020|6:09am PST]

@troutt81 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies