turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bbcrum41

Federal Income Tax Withheld from State of Florida Unemployment Payments

I had federal income tax withheld from State of Florida Reemployment Assistance.  Where do I put it????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please enter your federal income tax withheld in Box 4 when entering your 1099-G. 

You can follow these steps to enter your unemployment: 

1. Open or continue your tax return in TurboTax.
  2. Search for unemployment compensation and select the Jump to link.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the instructions to enter your unemployment.

As part of the recently passed American Rescue Plan, the first $10,200 worth of unemployment payments are now tax-free for households with annual incomes less than $150,000. This expanded tax relief begins this year, starting for taxpayers filing returns after January 1, 2020.  The IRS will provide additional guidance about what you need to do to take advantage of this relief if you already filed your 2020 tax return. 

If you’d like to be updated when the information becomes available, please sign up here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My 1099-G form has FL tax withheld but my version of TurboTax does not have a field for "4. Total Federal Tax withheld" .  Your help stated to enter it there but there is no place to enter.  I believe this is an error with your software. 

Thanks

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Here is a screenshot that will get you to the area to enter Federal tax withholding on your 1099-G.  If you have state withholding from your unemployment, it can also be entered on the next screens. Each state has it own form for reporting unemployment payment.

{Edited 04/07/2021 09:41 PST}

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My return was filed and accepted before the American Rescue Plan was put into action. Seeing that Florida does not pay state taxes, do I need to amend my taxes in order to get my paid unemployment taxes refund?

Did you enter the 1099G for unemployment into your return? The withholding was probably federal withholding.  

If you have filed. The IRS will recalculate your return for the new 10,200 unemployment exemption for you. There is no need for taxpayers to file an amended return unless the calculations make the taxpayer newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

See new article May 14, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies