amberrobinson1991

Federal income tax witheld

I am married with one child, my husband claims HOH and I’m claiming 0. My w2 doesn’t say there is any Federal Income Tax withheld. I made 12,085 since starting my job in June of 2020. Should my W2 show an amount withheld for Federal income tax or was there an error?

macuser_22

Federal income tax witheld

Your would have to ask your employer what there was no withholding.

As an aside, if you and your spouse lived together  at ANY time during the last 6 months of 2020 then neither one of you can file Head of Household.    You file Married Jointly what is even better then HOH.

Head of Household is for UNMARRIED taxpayers with a related dependent or married and have not lived with their spouse at anytime during the last 6 months of the tax year AND has a child, stepchild or foster child that can be a dependent.

amberrobinson1991

Federal income tax witheld

Correction he doesn’t claim HOH we file married jointly. When claim 0 shouldn’t they be taking the most?

macuser_22

Federal income tax witheld

Yes.  the fewer exemption the more the tax withheld.  

Ask you employer what went wrong.   

Unfortunately 2020 is over so if you were under withheld, you might owe more tax - that cannot be changed now.   You should have noticed months ago if no tax was being withheld on the pay  stubs you received and asked the employer about it then.

It is also possible that tax was withheld and the W-2 is incorrect and you need a corrected W-2 form the employee.

amberrobinson1991

Federal income tax witheld

I definitely claimed 0 on my W4 so I’m assuming there’s an issue with my employer. 

macuser_22

Federal income tax witheld

@amberrobinson1991 wrote:

Like I said - ask your employer - nobody here knows what your employer did - or didn't do.