turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kraver

Federal government relocation

Im so lost.  We were reimbursed for relocation (federal) and it was included in Box 1 (19,270 of it moving).  Should I NOT claim any moving expenses or should I claim them then put reimbursed the claimable amounts.

I think I understand the RITA part and that we will get reimbursed the additional tax owed due to the increase in income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You should claim your moving expenses because the reimbursement was included in your gross income.  Since it was included in box 1, it means that you paid tax on it.  And because you paid tax on the reimbursement, it is considered to have been paid by you and is therefore deductible. 

When you do claim moving expenses, do not enter any reimbursed amount, just the moving expenses. Moving expenses are entered in Deductions And Credits section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  4. Select Moving Expenses

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You should claim your moving expenses because the reimbursement was included in your gross income.  Since it was included in box 1, it means that you paid tax on it.  And because you paid tax on the reimbursement, it is considered to have been paid by you and is therefore deductible. 

When you do claim moving expenses, do not enter any reimbursed amount, just the moving expenses. Moving expenses are entered in Deductions And Credits section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  4. Select Moving Expenses
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies