Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rotts2jy
Returning Member

Federal Energy Tax Credit - Solatube

I had 3 solatubes installed in my house this year.  I received a certificate from solatube stating I qualify for the federal tax credit for the following:  160 and 290 Daylighting Systems when integrated with: 290 Daylighting System with an intergraded solar-powered daylight dimmer.  It's states at the top of the form "Residential Homeowner Tax Credit". 

https://solatube.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Manufacturer-Certification-Statement_2023.pdf 

Here is link to their Federal Tax Credit Info:  https://solatube.com/support/federal-tax-credit/ 

I'm looking the Form 5695 where or if I should enter this and under what category. To play it safe I will probably not apply for it at all but just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue.

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

To claim the solar credit, please follow these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Your Home and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Home Energy Credits (see screenshot)
  • Follow the interview to enter your information.
rotts2jy
Returning Member

Thank you but I guess my question is more what should I put this under?  Would it go under solar electric costs? Can I only put in the amount of the dimmer only or can I put the whole solatube cost in there?  It's very vague on where and what to put in.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

To enter these expenses in TurboTax Online:

1. If you don’t see 2022 TAXES in the left pane, scroll down and select the dropdown to the right of Deductions & Credits and select Let’s get startedPick up where you left off, or Review/Edit
    • Otherwise, in the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of Federal, then select Deductions & Credits 
  2. On the  Your tax breaks page, scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Your Home
  3. Select  Start or Revisit to the right of Home Energy Credits
  4. On the  Energy-Saving Home Improvements page, select Yes in answer to the question, Did you make energy-saving improvements in 2022 or have a carryforward from 2021?
  5. Enter all relevant information on the ensuing pages
  6. On the  Tell Us How Much You Paid for Energy-Saving Improvements page, enter your expense amount in the box to the right of Exterior Windows.  This claims the  Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit, which covers energy-efficient exterior windows, doors, and skylights, and will appear on line 19d of Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits
  7. Continue through the screens

You should be able to claim the entire cost of the product, but, according to Qualified energy efficiency improvements in the Instructions for Form 5695[D]on't include amounts paid for the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the building envelope component.

rotts2jy
Returning Member

Thank you. I will go through your instructions this weekend.  Solatube is saying this is solar related and can get a 30% credit but I'm sensing it more a window which is only 10%. I'd rather be cautious about this and go for the window and not risk taking the wrong tax credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies