Michael5701

Energy

I took the tax rebate on solar electric system in 2018, can I take the energy credit for replacing my entry doors with energy efficient doors in 2019?

Energy

Energy

Yes. They are on different sections of the form.

Michael5701

Energy

I'm a little confused, going through the step by step, it asks about energy credits in prior years, when I answer yes, then put in the amount, looks like the amount in the previous year offsets the credit for the doors.

Energy

@Michael5701 wrote:

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit is a total combined credit limit of $500 for all tax years after 2005.

Michael5701

Energy

So the 30% tax rebate I took on solar for 2018 crosses out the $500 credit that would have been available for the doors I replaced in 2019 right?

Energy

@Michael5701 wrote:

No, the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit and the Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit are two separate credits.

Which credit did you indicate that was received on a prior year tax return?

Michael5701

Energy

Last year I took the 30% tax rebate for solar installed in 2018.

Energy

@Michael5701 wrote:

The program asks you Did You Get Any Home Energy Credits in Prior Years?  You do not answer Yes to this question if you did not receive a Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit (windows, doors, insulation, etc.) on a prior year tax return.  The question does Not refer to any Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit for solar.

The program also asks Do You Have a 2018 Home Energy Credit to Carry Forward?  If any of the amount of the 30% solar credit you took in 2018 was not carried forward you should have answered this question No.