Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member


I am waiting on my child's SSN to file my 2020 taxes. Can I still get Earned Income credit since I am filing after the May 15, 2020 deadline? My income is below the head of household $18500 requirement for filing a return.

2 Replies
Level 15


If you file your return before you get the child's SSN you will not be able to get EIC---so wait until you have the SSN.    The PATH act says that you cannot get child related credits by amending to add a child's SSN.   The SSN has to be on the original tax return.  


You can still e-file a 2020 return until October 15, 2021; after that you have to print, sign and mail it because e-filing will close down.


You need that SSN for the child tax credit, too---so wait.



And.....the $18,500 is your standard deduction for filing as HOH.   If you have income earned from working, even if it is below that amount, you can still get some EIC if you have a qualified dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Opus 17
Level 15


The previous answer is not quite correct. You must file a “on time“ return that contains the child’s Social Security number, in order to qualify for EIC.  Your return will still be considered on time if you applied for the automatic extension before May 17.  In that case, you have until October 15 to file an “on-time” return.


However, if you did not apply for the extension, your return will not be considered on time and you will not receive EIC for your child for 2020, even if you include them as a dependent with a Social Security number.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies