turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schr4Brun
Returning Member

Economic Impact Payment Entry

I'm going through my aunt's 2020 return and thought she didn't receive the $1200 in 2020 so I said no on the specific question in the TurboTax program.  I realize now she did get the payment.  Which screen do I go to in the program to change my response?  I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Thanks...Kurt

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You will need to update your Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet to reconcile all of your stimulus payments on your 2020 tax return.

IRS Recovery Rebate Credit

Select Federal Review at the top of the page > Continue to answer the questions for Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount

TurboTax will then include any stimulus amount due on their 1040 form - either added to their refund or it will reduce the amount due.

Check Form 1040, Line 30, for any amount or zero depending on what you have previously received.

By using the Tax Tools you can take a quick review of your 1040:

• To find Tools: 
    • Sign into your TurboTax account and open or continue your return. 
    • Select Tax Tools in the left menu. 
    • You'll find Tools beneath Tax Tools.
    • Select View Tax Summary
    • Select Preview My 1040 (left black panel)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Schr4Brun
Returning Member

Thanks...it wasn't obvious to me that this was part of the Federal review stage.  The return was showing $1800 in refund which I wasn't too sure about.  My aunt did get the $1200 check but she passed away before the $600 check was issued.  Now her refund is $600.  I guess that makes sense but what do I know!!  All I can do is go forward with her return.

Kurt

even though she passed away before the 2nd stimulus was issued, her estate is eligible for the 2nd stimulus.

Schr4Brun
Returning Member

Ah...that makes sense.  Thanks...Kurt

for the 1st stimulus, it was very confusing as Congress hadn't considered people who had passed away, so the IRS said if you passed away BEFORE receiving the stimulus, you had to return it . What a cluster!

for the 2nd stimulus, Congress solved the problem by stating in the law that any taxpayer who died after 12/31/19 was still eligible for the 2nd stimulus (as long as all the other criteria were met)

similarly, for the 3rd stimulus, any taxpayer who died after 12/31/20 is still eligible for the stimulus (as long as all the other criteria are met)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies