turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aa081589

Does turbo tax file Keystone local earned income

I (a PA Resident) got a letter from Keystone Collections Group stating that I did not file my 2013 Annual Local Earned Income Tax Return, however I thought that was part of TurboTax. Did I miss something? Or should I just pay this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Are you sure this isn't a scam? Assuming the Keystone Collections Group is a privately owned company, I wonder why they would be involved with your tax return at any level of any government that assesses taxes on it's citizens. I myself am not familiar with PA taxes at all, so can't really provide any useful information. Just throwing my two cents in here, because I've never heard of a private company collecting taxes on behalf of any level of any government. But then, anything's possible I guess.

Looks like this is probably legit for PA - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.keystonecollects.com/page/about">https://www.keystonecollects.com/page/about</a>
Carl
Level 15

Ah okay. I didn't think to google it. Still, check the actual FROM email address to ensure the domain matches up, and isn't something like <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="mailto:taxes@scammingu.com">taxes@scammingu.com</a>

@michaelrayround - As stated TurboTax does not support municipal tax returns for Pennsylvania.  If you find tax preparation software from another source that does support municipal tax returns for Pennsylvania, please reply back so other users can decide if they want to use that software.
mich

I am so glad that I moved out of PA and back to DE. I never actually lived in PA for an entire tax year and never even heard of such a thing in DE. Years ago, during the time I lived in PA, I received mail from the "Keystone" group. I instantly thought "Why does this healthcare insurance provider want me to send them all of my private information and then possibly money? I thought it was a scam...A company you've never heard of is saying that you need to file tax forms with them, give them sensitive information about yourself, and possibly money.

Sounded like a scam to me but apparently, it's not. Now, I received a collection letter from the "Keystone" for money I don't even owe. However, I didn't file the forms... all they need is to find someone who didn't file this form and even if it turns out that the person doesn't owe the money, they'll owe the "Keystone" (I think?) for having to have this organization/entity (what do you call these people? Is it the government?) process this form (their "fee") since you (me) didn't. If I would've just filed the forms (if I had known that I had to), they would've seen what part of my income was earned as a PA resident and that I was appropriately paid up.

When using turbo tax, I had no clue that there were "local earned income" tax forms that I a) needed to file and b) was 100% responsible for. Maybe it's naïvety and maybe it's my fault for thinking that taxes really are that easy (especially when I was dealing with a new state that I had no previous experience filing taxes with).

I live in DE again. I'll probably use TurboTax again because I won't have this sort of issue (at least not anytime soon). However, if and when I ever move to a different state, I'll hire someone to do my taxes that year.

In conclusion, you might not owe them the amount they stated was deliquent but you'll probably still owe them at least the $60 fee assessed for them doing whatever it is they do because we didn't file the forms.

Keystone Collections Group is a legitimate organization.  For example, see this:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.westbradford.org/tax-collector/pages/keystone-collections-group">http://www.westbradford....>

Thank u dealing with this now as well had no clue I needed to file this in addition to turbo tax regular forms now they are coming after me for more then one year in the tune of 900.00 ugh!!!!!

TurboTax does not support municipal tax returns for Pennsylvania.  See this TurboTax support FAQ on the cities that are supported in the TurboTax program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899325-which-city-tax-returns-can-i-do-in-the-turbotax-state-prog...

Keystone ( and Berkheimer) is a legitimate collector of the local earned income taxes for municipalities within PA.  You are required to file a local earned income tax each year with the municipality in which you reside.  Turbotax does not support the preparation of this return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies