Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TT allow e-filing with Form 3115 for unclaimed depreciation?

I am using TT premier for Windows.  As you fill out the 3115 going to 'forms' mode, since TT doesn't include questionnaire for 3115 in the step-by-step process, does it allow e-filing and does it include form 3115 for Federal taxes?  

Also, I found the following on IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/temporary-procedure-to-fax-automatic-consent-forms-3115-due-to-covid-19:(

Taxpayers filing Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method, should follow new procedure.

Until further notice, the IRS is implementing the temporary procedure described below for fax transmission of the duplicate copy of Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method.

Starting on July 31, 2020, the IRS will accept the duplicate copy of Form 3115, Application for Change in Accounting Method, via fax to [phone number removed].

Is this still valid and/or is it a requirement to send by fax?

Appreciate your input.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

With respect to filing Form 3115, you need to file a copy with your return and also print and mail a copy to the IRS at a different address.

View solution in original post

@ben02g 

You need to do both.

1) Fax the form and statement to the IRS; and

2) Mail your whole return package (including Form 3115, et al) to the IRS.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i3115#idm140516454118016

View solution in original post

20 Replies

With respect to filing Form 3115, you need to file a copy with your return and also print and mail a copy to the IRS at a different address.

Is fax still the way to send the duplicate copy?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, your return must be mailed because this form is not supported through e-file. 

Yes, the procedures you noted were last updated in November 23, 2021so you should follow that and FAX your duplicate Form 3115.

If I want to file for an automatic change in accounting method, how do I file the duplicate copy of the Form 3115?

Until further notice, you may fax your duplicate copy of Form 3115 for an automatic change in accounting method to the IRS at 844-249-8134. You must also file the original Form 3115 with your tax return.  I would advise to use this procedure versus mailing a copy but you can do that as pointed out by tax expert @tagteam.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Diane,

Sorry, I didn't wait for your response and went through e-filing to see if it gives me any messages not to.  TT didn't stop me from e-filing and it printed a copy of 3115 to mail.  It also printed form 8453 (US Indv. Tax transmittal for an IRS e-file Return).  Does this mean I just mail these two and not the rest of the return (1040)?

The mailing address is:

IRS Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

At the bottom of the form 8453 it says "Don't Sign this Form".  Does it mean I don't sign the form 3115?  Because in the 3115 instructions, it says the first copy does not need to be signed.

By the way I just received an email confirming my federal tax was accepted.

Appreciate all your help!

When is TT online going to support Form 3115?  and support eFile on desktop?  There are lots of questions on this and I would think TT would offer this as base package.   Total pain to download, fill out form, print, and mail.  FYI.. when I spoke to TT expert, he said lots (and lots) of people don't even know of depreciation on rental property and as a result, do not record it until its too late and have to then go through this form 3115 process.  I hope TT puts this on their roadmap!

We can hope, but the form is not exactly a DIY project even though the 481(a) adjustment section on the form is relatively simple. 

First, a copy must be included with the return and another copy must be sent separately to the IRS.

Also, a statement needs to be attached that includes a summary of how the adjustment was calculated.

Finally, there are a multitude of questions on the first three pages that are relatively obtuse and vague. 

The preparation of this form is best left to tax professionals.

ben02g
Returning Member

I am in the same boat and want to understand the procedure to e-file Form 3115. Can someone please tell me this is the right way to do it? 

1.  Use Turbotax to efile Fed tax return, which includes Form 3115 but not the required attachment
  2.  Send Form 3115 and the required attachment via fax [phone number removed].  The cover letter of the fax should have the following information. Do not include the other forms such as Form 1040 and other forms that are efiled in step 1
    • Subject: Form 3115
    • Sender's name, title, phone number, address
    • Taxpayer's name
    • Date
    • Number of pages faxed (including cover sheet)
  3. Keep the fax log as the receipt from IRS for Form 3115
  4. Do not need to mail Form 3115 and attachment to IRS separately. 

Appreciate any suggestions!

ben02g
Returning Member

By "No, your return must be mailed because this form is not supported through e-file. " , do you mean we can not e-file the whole tax return (e.g., Form 1040 and etc.) via e-file, a.k.a, we need to mail the whole package?  Can you please clarify which is the right way to do (1 or 2)?

1. e-file the fed tax return (including Form 3115, but without the required attachment since TurboTax does not support attachment) and fax Form 3115 and the required attachments as supporting files to [phone number removed].
  2. mail the Fed tax return (including Form 3115 and Attachment), and  fax Form 3115 and the required attachments as supporting files to [phone number removed].

Appreciate the help!

@ben02g wrote:
Send Form 3115 and the required attachment via fax [phone number removed].  

Yes, fax a copy of the form and the statement (separate from your return) to the IRS.

You might as well simply print and mail your entire federal income tax return (with Form 3115 and the explanatory statement) since you cannot e-file both the form and the statement with TurboTax.

ben02g
Returning Member

Thanks, Tagteam!

Just want to be clear and don't want to make the mistake in the last minute :), I can either

1. e-file the return (including Form 3115) via Turbotax, and fax the only Form 3115+ attachments 
  2. Mail the whole package (including  From1040 and Form 3115 + other worksheets). In this case, I don't need to fax the Form 3115 + attachment again

Appreciate your advice!

@ben02g 

You need to do both.

1) Fax the form and statement to the IRS; and

2) Mail your whole return package (including Form 3115, et al) to the IRS.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i3115#idm140516454118016

ben02g
Returning Member

Thanks, Tagteam!

One more question, can I e-file the tax return via Turbotax  (Form 1040 + 3115 without attachments +other forms) and then fax the Form 3115+ Attachments for 3115) to IRS?

Since Turbotax does not support attachments for Form 3115, I am wondering if this will cause any problems.  

Thanks!

The TurboTax forms availability page is showing that e-file is not supported for Form 3115.

See https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_windows_individual.htm...

I am not sure whether that really has a huge impact since an explanatory statement (showing the calculation) is required to be included with Form 3115 and that statement cannot be e-filed, regardless.

ben02g
Returning Member

Thanks for the clarification. This is super helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies