Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msweber86

Does an Automated External Defibrillator "AED" qualify as a medical expense per IRS publication 502? If so, can I purchase one with my Health Savings Account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Does an Automated External Defibrillator "AED" qualify as a medical expense per IRS publication 502? If so, can I purchase one with my Health Savings Account?

Deductible medical expenses are expenses that are incurred in order to cure, prevent, or treat diseases and conditions that affect the health of the body. If you are buying an AED for your personal use, because you or a family member has been diagnosed with heart trouble, and your doctor has recommended one, then it would be an allowable medical expense.   Any expense that is deductible is also allowable for HSA reimbursement. 

However, if you were buying one for your place of business  as a general precaution for your employees or customers, then it would be a deductible business expense but it is not a deductible medical expense and cannot be paid for from an HSA. 

What section should you be able to add this? I can' t seem to add to other tax credit options.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies