Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melopez86

Does a 2017 Toyota Hybrid Highlander qualify for the Energy-efficient vehicle credits?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

Does a 2017 Toyota Hybrid Highlander qualify for the Energy-efficient vehicle credits?

To qualify the vehicle must be an electric vehicle.

A list of vehicles that qualify are:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

To be certified for the credit by the manufacturer, the vehicle must meet the following requirements:

• The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer (i.e., it doesn't include conventional vehicles converted to electric drive).
  • It must be treated as a motor vehicle for purposes of title II of the Clean Air Act.
  • It must have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of not more than 14,000 lbs.
  • It must be propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor which draws electricity from a battery which
    • has a capacity of not less than 4 kilowatt hours and
    • is capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.

The following requirements must also be met for a certified vehicle to qualify:

• The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer—it must be a new vehicle.
  • The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.)
  • The vehicle is used mostly in the United States.
  • The vehicle must be placed in service by the taxpayer during or after the 2010 calendar year.

Toyota shows only Prius Prime is qualified.  Although your state may offer other incentives.  https://www.toyota.com/priusprime/calculator/

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies