turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have taken the childcare reimbursement for the past few years for a total of 5,000 paid out through the year. Does this make me ineligible to claim the 3k per child?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have taken the childcare reimbursement for the past few years for a total of 5,000 paid out through the year. Does this make me ineligible to claim the 3k per child?

Your maximum eligible expenses for the dependent care credit is $3000 for one qualifying child and $6000 for 2 or more qualifying children.  The maximum FSA benefit is $5000.  If you have one child in care, you have already maxed out your benefit by using the $5000 FSA and can't get any additional credit.  If you have 2 or more children in care, the remaining $1000 difference between the FSA limit and the dependent credit limit is eligible for the credit. Turbotax will claim it automatically.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Do you mean a flexible spending account at work? Or something else.

yes

Your maximum eligible expenses for the dependent care credit is $3000 for one qualifying child and $6000 for 2 or more qualifying children.  The maximum FSA benefit is $5000.  If you have one child in care, you have already maxed out your benefit by using the $5000 FSA and can't get any additional credit.  If you have 2 or more children in care, the remaining $1000 difference between the FSA limit and the dependent credit limit is eligible for the credit. Turbotax will claim it automatically.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies