Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to keep track of addresses in my mileage log?

(My apologies for reposting this) I work as a Dasher for DoorDash and I'm (finally) starting to get the hang of tracking my business miles. I'm using Everlance on my IOS phone and an Excel spreadsheet on my computer to keep track and log all of my business miles. One of the important things is the destination, but when I am logging my miles for a single dash (aka shift) done for an individual day, do I need to list all of the addresses that I go to, including restaurants and customers' houses? I'm also keeping track of what miles that I can deduct and my odometer readings at the start and end of my shifts. I take screenshots of the addresses sent to me by DoorDash and log them in on Everlance as well, but I feel as though Everlance is not exactly accurate, so to speak. Should I keep track of all of the addresses, or should I be more concerned with my mileage and odometer readings? Also, for business destinations, should I put the city that I work in as my business destination, considering that I am picking up and delivering food in the very city I am living in?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Do I have to keep track of addresses in my mileage log?

The more finely detailed logs you keep, the better. Its a lot of work. But if ever audited it will "literally" save your butt. When dealing with the IRS there's three golden rules that matter.

1) you are GUILTY until proven innocent.

2) The burden of proof is on the accused (that would be you!) and not the accuser.

3) If it's not in writing, then it flat out *did* *not* *occur*.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies