Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Petey88

Do i have to have purchase agreement and car or can i have just the purchase agreement as the car is being delivered past the new year to claim EV credit?

Basically, do i have to have possession of car before the new year to claim it on upcoming tax season?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do i have to have purchase agreement and car or can i have just the purchase agreement as the car is being delivered past the new year to claim EV credit?

You are not the owner of the vehicle until a bill of sale is processed.  The purchase agreement is not a bill of sale.

in addition, if you own the vehicle you have to place it into service before you can start depreciating it.  taking deliver y is not enough. 

@Petey88 - To be eligible for the credit, you are asked for the date the car was 'placed in service'.  THAT is the year you can claim the credit.  if you don't take possession of the car until 2023, then it wasn't placed in service in 2022.  

you also need the VIN to apply for the credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies