Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
writemaggie

Do I have to claim charitable donations? I am itemizing deductions related to my mortgage but would rather leave out charitable donations.

You are not required to enter your donations.   You can leave them out if you want to.

ColeenD3

No. You are required to report income, but not deductions. You can omit them altogether and just take the standard deduction or itemize as many or as few as you choose.

Mike9241

no law requires you to claim them for regular tax purposes.   there was a strange case decided by SCOTUS.   taxpayers only deducted part of their real estate taxes to eliminate their AMT.  SCOTUS said for AMT purposes they had to use 100% (this was before 2018 when there was imposed a limit of deductibility of taxes)

you don't have to detail each cash contribution. noncash may need to be detailed on form 8283