turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I fill out form 8889 under my name if my husband is the main taxpayer under our married-filing-jointly file, but I am officially the owner of HSA (and he is signer?)

Confused over how TT is computing our TT 8889 form for HSA:   form 1099-SA sent to us lists me in first line (Owner, I assume), and husband in second line as "signer".  

1) When I am prompted by TT to "tell us about health-related accounts", I have checked only my name-- is this correct?

2) I have then just filled out the 1099-SA form for my name- is this correct?

3) Turbo Tax says on-line advice says "make sure you select the right person the form belongs to"....Forms are treating my husband as the TaxPayer (primary income, and me as the Spouse)>>    does the fact that 1099-SA form is in my name/HSA lists me as first owner, cause any mix-up or have any bearing on our benefit from deductions?  I just want to make sure it's not to our disadvantage that he's listed on as signer, but he's primary taxpayer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Do I fill out form 8889 under my name if my husband is the main taxpayer under our married-filing-jointly file, but I am officially the owner of HSA (and he is signer?)

There is no issue with you being listed as the owner of the HSA since you are the owner, and your husband being the primary taxpayer on the return. There will be no negative impact on TurboTax gathering and calculating the data input to arrive at the correct tax reporting figures.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanO

There is no issue with you being listed as the owner of the HSA since you are the owner, and your husband being the primary taxpayer on the return. There will be no negative impact on TurboTax gathering and calculating the data input to arrive at the correct tax reporting figures.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies