Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I enter the total charitable donation from my payroll deduction in the new Charitable Cash Contributions field?

The form is forcing me to enter a value before proceeding. thought that payroll was considered cash and entered that value.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Do I enter the total charitable donation from my payroll deduction in the new Charitable Cash Contributions field?

It depends. Is your charitable donation through work reported on your W-2? Check for an amount in Box 14. If you see it, make sure the Box 14 category is Charitable cash contribution.

TurboTax will automatically move the amount from your W-2 Box 14 to Form 1040. However, the program will ask you to confirm the amount of your payroll deduction.

If your contribution did not appear on your W-2, enter the amount in Deductions & Credits.

• Type donations in Search in the upper right.
  • Click Jump to donations.
  • Say Yes to Did you make donations to charity in 2020?
  • Say Yes or No to Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online. If you have an account, you can import your donations. Otherwise
  • Say Yes on the Donations screen.
  • Type the name of the charity in Who did you donate in 2020?
  • Click Add next to Money. The $300 "above the line" charitable donation deduction applies to cash donations only.

Learn more at Most taxpayers can deduct up to $300 in charitable contributions without itemizing deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No, it was not reported on my W-2. I always manually entered it. That new option just caused a bit of confusion. I was able to enter it by Jumping to Donations and adding it as normal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies