turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hrothmir

Where enter foreign QDI?

Getting an error showing that the QDI portion of foreign dividends is missing.  I have the info.  But can't where in Easy Step to enter that. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
hrothmir

Where enter foreign QDI?

Key point here is "foreign" divs.  My 1099-Div includes boxes for divs & QDI.  Those 1099-Div box numbers include sum of foreign and domestic.  Need to get justthe foreign portion into TT for form 1116.  Don't see where to enter that via Easy Step.  Have forced in via Forms mode - but seems odd not part of Easy Step.
TomK
Expert Alumni

Where enter foreign QDI?

Did you receive a 1099-D?  If so,

To enter qualified dividend income:

1. Open your return (or continue if open).

2. Type “qualified dividend income” in Search box (upper right-hand corner of the screen)

3. Click on “Jump to qualified dividend income” link.

4. Answer screen interview prompts.

Please see screenshot below:

travelseattle
Returning Member

Where enter foreign QDI?

I am baffled. I don't see any screen shot. I don't see a Jump to link when I search,. I can't find where to enter QDI eligible foreign income

travelseattle
Returning Member

Where enter foreign QDI?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Where enter foreign QDI?

Here is how you report this. I assume you have recorded some of your 1099 DIV in your return. You will check the box that says My form has info in other boxes (this is uncommon).

1) Box 7 should have a value for foreign tax paid.  If this amount is over $300, it will require a Form 1116. Once you are done recording the information on the form, and press continue.

2) Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you say none and continue

3) Now if that amount in box 7 is over $300, you will come to a screen that says

Tell us about your foreign dividends.  This is where you will report your Foreign Dividend Amount.  This is where the program automatically separates your foreign dividend income from your domestic. Then follow the prompts where it asks you for the amounts and the foreign country involved.

4) If your foreign tax in Box 7 is $300 or less, you have no additional reporting requirement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Where enter foreign QDI?

Im using the download cd from amazon and even though my foreign income in box 7 is well above $300, there is no request for form 1116 or anything else foreign related.  It just moves on to the rest.   I've continued with the program all the way until just before filing, and still have not found anything addressing QDI.  Anyone have ideas?   

Where enter foreign QDI?

So I called live support and figured out the answer.  You don't get to do this step in the 2019 DVD Turbotax until you get to "deduction and credits" tab.  Then look for the "foreign taxes" option

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies