turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brif123
Returning Member

Dependents

Do I have to claim my child as a dependent?  They are under 18, I provide most of their support, and they live with me full time.  I do not get any benefit claiming them on my tax form and they pay less when they file as a single filer. 

Is there a minimum age or minimum support requirement for single tax filers? I cannot find any requirement in the IRS instructions on the subject.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Dependents

Nothing requires a parent to claim a dependent, but if they CAN claim the dependent then the person cannot claim them-self - tax law does not allow that. That is why there are two questions "CAN you be claimed by another tax payer?, and WERE you claimed?

Yes to the first means you cannot claim yourself, no to the second might allow you to claim certain educational credits that usually only the person claiming you could claim.

Also see:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
brif123
Returning Member

Dependents

Thanks.  That makes sense.  Still upset that I do not get any benefit.

Dependents

@brif123 - you may want to claim them in any event because the 3rd stimulus provides benefit for dependents at the rate of $1400 per dependent; did you get the 3rd stimulus yet? 

claiming them doesn't get you the 3rd stimulus on this year's taxes, but it does get them in the database for payment.  And if you don't receive the $$$, it's be a credit on next year's taxes (unless your income is too high)

Hal_Al
Level 15

Dependents

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If you live with someone else, e.g. your parents, it may be better if they claim your child.

Instead, you could allow the non-custodial parent to claim the children.  Non-custodial parents are allowed to claim the child tax credit, but not the Earned income credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies