Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deduction

I have to move and will change my primary residence for at least a year beginning in June 2020 but will keep my current job and drive ten hours round trip & stay overnight four nights every two weeks. What can I claim? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Deduction

Sorry, but there is nothing about what you described that you will be able to claim on a federal tax return.  Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal return except for certain active duty members of the military.

Your "commute" to and from work--although it is a long distance, is not deductible, nor are your living expenses in the new location.  You are going to have some additional personal expenses with this change.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Deduction

Sorry, but there is nothing about what you described that you will be able to claim on a federal tax return.  Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal return except for certain active duty members of the military.

Your "commute" to and from work--although it is a long distance, is not deductible, nor are your living expenses in the new location.  You are going to have some additional personal expenses with this change.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Deduction

Effective starting in 2018, W-2 work related expenses are no longer deductible. You have have nothing to claim concerning this move.

Also, depending on the states involved, you can't just arbitrarily change your legal state of residence just because you want to. Each state has their own criteria that defines a legal resident of that state. Likewise, for many states just leaving that state does not mean it is no longer your state of legal residence either, just because you left it. So you need to check residency requirements on the states involved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies