turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm unemployed/retired collecting social security and sold inherited property at a loss within the same year of receiving it. Do I have to pay tax on this sale?

I'm retired with Social Security as my only source of income.  Through probate, my brother and I received my fathers home worth $180,000.  My brother and I sold the home for a loss within 4 months of finalizing for $125,000 and split the sale 50/50.  Do I need to pay taxes on this sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm unemployed/retired collecting social security and sold inherited property at a loss within the same year of receiving it. Do I have to pay tax on this sale?

No. You had a loss on the sale. The inheritance, itself is not taxable. The loss on the sale, may actually be deductible, depending on how the property was used, while waiting to be sold and who was sold to.

But, if you only have social security, you will have no other taxable income to deduct the lost from. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. You had a loss on the sale. The inheritance, itself is not taxable. The loss on the sale, may actually be deductible, depending on how the property was used, while waiting to be sold and who was sold to.

But, if you only have social security, you will have no other taxable income to deduct the lost from. 

Follow up Q’s:   So I will not have to file taxes nor fill out a schedule D form?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Correct, unless you get a form 1099-S for the sale. Check you closing documents.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies