turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 12 does not show HSA contributions (W election) even though myself and my employer put into my HSA. Is that normal if it is already accounted for in my Box 1 amount?

On my W2 mailer, the HSA contribution is showing but it is in Box 12.  However, it is already subtracted in the Box 1 amount. These are pre-tax contributions to a HDHP.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Box 12 does not show HSA contributions (W election) even though myself and my employer put into my HSA. Is that normal if it is already accounted for in my Box 1 amount?

Code D (single D) is for contributions to a 401(k). Whether you have those or not, you should also have Box 12 amounts for your combined employer & pre-tax employee HSA contributions ($5,000) with code W *and* the total value of your HDHP (premiums or actuarial value) with code DD (double D); none of those should be included in Box 1. If you don't have W or DD amounts, or if the single-D amount is NOT for 401(k) contributions, your employer needs to fix your W-2.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

All pre-tax deductions (HSA, HDHP, 401(k), or otherwise) are deducted from Box 1. Is the Box 12, code W amount your pre-tax HSA contributions (correct), or the HDHP premium (incorrect)?

That is where the problem lies.  There is no code W amount even though my contributions to my HSA were $2500 and my employers contributions were $2500.  There should be a code W amount of $5000, right?

Box 12 (a, b, c or d) should indeed have $5,000 with a "W" in front of it, assuming it is indeed an HSA. (Since you have both employer & employee contributions, it's not likely to be some other kind of medical account such as an HRA or FSA.) You do say, however, that there's something in Box 12. Does it have a letter code in front of it? Is it employer AND pre-tax employee contributions combined (correct), employee contributions only (incorrect), or HDHP premiums (incorrect unless the letter code is "DD", i.e., non-taxable value of employer-provided health insurance)?

Edit: Note that $5,000 exceeds the limit on HSA contributions for an individual. Are you sure this is an HSA and *not* an HRA, FSA or other medical account? Do you have family coverage on your HDHP, which would raise the limit above $5,000?

Yes, I have family coverage for the HDHP so I think the limit is $6,750.  The code in box 12 is only D.  I found another article that mentions some government agencies don't note the W code for HSA contributions.  I don't think this particular box and the W code could be any more confusing for taxes.  Sheesh.

Code D (single D) is for contributions to a 401(k). Whether you have those or not, you should also have Box 12 amounts for your combined employer & pre-tax employee HSA contributions ($5,000) with code W *and* the total value of your HDHP (premiums or actuarial value) with code DD (double D); none of those should be included in Box 1. If you don't have W or DD amounts, or if the single-D amount is NOT for 401(k) contributions, your employer needs to fix your W-2.

Thank you!  I heard from my HR department today that they are working with the payroll company to fix.  I'll come back to this question and post their response too.

It was indeed missing and they corrected the W2.  Thank you RRBrittain for helping!
Manage cookies