nickie1627

Claimed the solar credit in 2015. I have since added more panels in 2016. Is there a federal credit I can claim for the additional panels.

HelenaC

Yes, you can claim the credit for any new costs.  

Installing alternative energy equipment in your home can qualify you for a credit equal to 30% of your total cost. The credit is available through the end of 2019. After that, the percentage steps down each year and then stops at the end of 2021.

• Qualifying equipment includes solar-powered units that generate electricity or heat water. The credit is only available for improvements you make to your residence. This can apply to a second residence as well.
  • As a credit, you take the amount directly off your tax payment, rather than as a deduction from your taxable income. Other than the cost of the system, there's no limit to the dollar amount of the credit.

To enter your energy credit, click on Where do I enter qualified energy-saving improvements?

Related information: