turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child Credit & stimulus bill

My son was born in August of 2019 and we filed our takes in early February 2020. We marked him down as a dependent but I noticed I never got the child tax credit. It marked him as "credit for other dependents" even though it says his relationship is "son".  Is this because he was only alive for 4 months in 2019? 

Then the stimulus bill came in and we didnt get credit for him either (less $500). Why are we not getting credit for him in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

When you entered him as a dependent, you should have marked him as living with your for the entire year even though he was born towards the end of the year (congratulations!).

Check your return

If you do not see him listed as a dependent on page 1 of your Form 1040, then he may not have been claimed.  You will also need to confirm if box 4 is checked for the child tax credit.  If it is not, you will need to amend your return.

Dependent section

See the attached link for instructions to help you amend your return.  You will need to amend your federal return and your state return, if applicable.

How to amend my return?

In regards to the stimulus payment, yes, you should have received an additional $500 for him as a dependent.

When you file your return in 2020, you will have the opportunity to report the amount of the stimulus check(s) you did receive. 

Since it was less than what you were entitled to, you will receive a credit on your tax return.

What does the stimulus bill mean to you

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scooterpie1968-
Returning Member

I didnt recieve the 500 dollars for my child can u tell me why

Hal_Al
Level 15

@scooterpie1968- 

if you're asking about the stimulus, this is a common problem.  You'll soon  get a IRS letter telling you how your EIP was calculated and how you can claim an error.

@scooterpie1968-  there are reports in the press that in some instances the IRS inadvertently failed to pay for children.

however, please look at your tax return where you child is listed..... over to the right there is a check box.  if the box that is checked is 'other dependent tax credit' ... THAT is the issue.  

please respond on what you find and we can figure out 'next steps'.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies