turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child and Dependent Care Credit - TurboTax PC Version Issue

In the Child and Dependent Care Credit Section

1. I am a single earner

2. When I select as neither husband or wife are disabled nor full time students it exits. 

3. In the online version, that is not the case. 

This is way too frustrating since it gives me a pretty good tax break

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Not quite sure why you commented "I am a single earner"---are you the only parent the child lives with?  Are you filing single or head of household?  If you are filing a joint return then both spouses need to show earned income unless one is a student or disabled.  If you are filing married filing separately you will not be able to get the childcare credit.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900643-what-is-the-child-and-dependent-care-credit

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am the head of the household. My wife stopped working in 2018 december.

We are filing married together. 

As mentioned, i tried the same credit in online version and i get same questions, when i select none of the above for the wife who did not get any income it still took me to the next page where I was able to enter the expenses for my childs care.

If you are filing as Married Filing Jointly, BOTH spouses must have income (or be a full time student or disabled so they need assistance to take care of themselves) in order to qualify for the Dependent Care credit.

If the online version is allowing the credit, I suspect that you may have entered something differently.  At any rate, if you are filing Jointly and are the only one with income, you do NOT qualify for the credit.

As a side note, for tax purposes you are NOT "Head of Household" if you live with your spouse.  You are "Married Filing Jointly".

No.  You are not Head of Household if you live with your spouse--whether your spouse works or not.  That is not what Head of Household means.  (You may be thinking of the Fred Flintstone definition of head of household)

If you are a married couple filing a joint return then unless you are both working and earning income you cannot get the childcare credit.  The credit is for paying someone to take care of your child so you can work.  If Mom does not work or attend school full time, you do not qualify for the childcare credit.  Sending your child to preK or daycare under those circumstances is just a persona expense.

Here is how one files as Head of Household:

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your filing status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies