Charitable Deductions for 2020

Charitable Deductions for 2020

It appears that many taxpayers are not familiar with the special $300 tax deduction for charitable contributions even if you do NOT itemize your deductions.  This is a special tax law change made earlier this year that allows cash donations up to $300 made before December 31, 2020 to be deductible when you file your 2020 taxes next year.

Charitable Deductions for 2020

Thanks for the PSA  ... when the TT program is fully operational in January we will see if that is a question for all users to answer or an information screen in the interview tree. 

Charitable Deductions for 2020

Can contributions I made to my church this year (2020) be the $300 charitable deduction under the CARES Act? 

Charitable Deductions for 2020

Any charity that is a 501(C)(3) is deductible.  If you have given to the church in previous years and deducted it, this year will be no different.

Charitable Deductions for 2020

@rmgbhg wrote:

You can deduct up to $300 of charitable donations as an adjustment to income on the 2020 Form 1040 Line 10b.

If you don't itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you and your spouse if filing jointly) can take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to organizations that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific, or literary in purpose.