Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charitable cash donations should be deductible up to 60% AGI, but TT is limiting to 50%

Using TT Deluxe 2022. It is limiting cash charitable contributions to only 50% of AGI, but this should be deductible up to 60% of AGI. TT has a place to designate each charitable organization as a "50%/60%" charity, but then is limiting these cash donations to the lower limit when the higher limit should apply. How can I get around this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Charitable cash donations should be deductible up to 60% AGI, but TT is limiting to 50%

You don't say whether you are using TurboTax Deluxe Online or CD/Download, but when I enter a cash contribution in either program, I get the correct 60% limit.

Double-check that you entered your contribution as Money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You don't say whether you are using TurboTax Deluxe Online or CD/Download, but when I enter a cash contribution in either program, I get the correct 60% limit.

Double-check that you entered your contribution as Money.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Good news – the actual final TT result is correct. What I was worried about was that the 'Charity Limit 1' form puts my cash contributions on line 7 (cash contributions to 50% limit organizations) rather than on line 1 (cash contributions to 60% limit organizations). But then line 9 somehow properly applies the 60% rate. This is confusing, but the actual calculations are correct. So you can close this request.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies