Charitable Carryover

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charitable Carryover

In previous years I took a standard deduction, so can I fill in charitable donations from those years as part of an itemized deduction this year?

6 Replies
Expert Alumni

Charitable Carryover

Unfortunately you cannot deduct contributions from a prior year.  If you are a US citizen or resident, you can only deduct contributions made to qualified organizations during the tax year.

Charitable Contribution Deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Charitable Carryover

So what is the point of a Charitable Carryover?  I also took the standard deduction in 16, 17 & 18.  So I never used my Charitable Deduction for those years.  If you can't make a contribution for a previous year this year, then shouldn't a non-used deduction from the previous year be used as a Carryover for this year?  Otherwise, what would a Carryover be?

Expert Alumni

Charitable Carryover

The amount of a contribution that a taxpayer can deduct when itemizing in a year is generally limited to a percentage of their adjusted gross income, but may be further reduced in certain situations. 

In this case, the taxpayer is allowed to carry over any unused contribution amounts to subsequent years when they itemize deductions.

Please see Limits on page 14 of IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions for more information.

The law doesn't allow you to amass contribution amounts in years that you claim the standard deduction, and then use contributions from multiple years once on a single year's itemized deduction schedule.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 1

Charitable Carryover

In years past, I have always itemized until last year for the tax year 2018.  I did not have enough deductions, therefore I took the standard deduction.  I have always donated to several organizations, some cash, some clothing and furniture.  Can I combine last year's (2018) donations with my 2019 donations for the 2019 tax year.  I still don't believe I will have enough donations and probably wouldn't until 2020.  Is this permitted?

Level 15

Charitable Carryover

No, it is not permitted.  Read the other responses in the thread you posted to.  You can only use the donations you gave in 2019 on your 2019 return.  You cannot add the ones from 2018.  If you do not have enough itemized deductions then you get the standard deduction.  This is the situation for many people since the standard deduction was nearly doubled for returns for 2018 and beyond.  Fewer people are able to itemize.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 1

Charitable Carryover

Thank you, that is what I thought, stay safe!!

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings