Charitable Carryover

Charitable Carryover

In previous years I took a standard deduction, so can I fill in charitable donations from those years as part of an itemized deduction this year?

Charitable Carryover

Unfortunately you cannot deduct contributions from a prior year.  If you are a US citizen or resident, you can only deduct contributions made to qualified organizations during the tax year.

Charitable Contribution Deductions

Charitable Carryover

So what is the point of a Charitable Carryover?  I also took the standard deduction in 16, 17 & 18.  So I never used my Charitable Deduction for those years.  If you can't make a contribution for a previous year this year, then shouldn't a non-used deduction from the previous year be used as a Carryover for this year?  Otherwise, what would a Carryover be?

Charitable Carryover

The amount of a contribution that a taxpayer can deduct when itemizing in a year is generally limited to a percentage of their adjusted gross income, but may be further reduced in certain situations. 

In this case, the taxpayer is allowed to carry over any unused contribution amounts to subsequent years when they itemize deductions.

Please see Limits on page 14 of IRS Publication 526, Charitable Contributions for more information.

The law doesn't allow you to amass contribution amounts in years that you claim the standard deduction, and then use contributions from multiple years once on a single year's itemized deduction schedule.

Charitable Carryover

In years past, I have always itemized until last year for the tax year 2018.  I did not have enough deductions, therefore I took the standard deduction.  I have always donated to several organizations, some cash, some clothing and furniture.  Can I combine last year's (2018) donations with my 2019 donations for the 2019 tax year.  I still don't believe I will have enough donations and probably wouldn't until 2020.  Is this permitted?

Charitable Carryover

No, it is not permitted.  Read the other responses in the thread you posted to.  You can only use the donations you gave in 2019 on your 2019 return.  You cannot add the ones from 2018.  If you do not have enough itemized deductions then you get the standard deduction.  This is the situation for many people since the standard deduction was nearly doubled for returns for 2018 and beyond.  Fewer people are able to itemize.

Charitable Carryover

Thank you, that is what I thought, stay safe!!