Solved: CARES Act charitable donation with standard deduct...

CARES Act charitable donation with standard deduction

Under the CARES Act, individual taxpayers can claim an "above-the-line" deduction of up to $300 for cash donations made to charity during 2020.

I'm getting a jump-start on my taxes this year, using TurboTax Home & Business (Mac). My charitable contributions (cash donations all and entered as "Money" in TurboTax) are listed on the Form 1040/1040SR Worksheet under line 10 (linked to the Charitable Contributions Summary, as expected). However, line 10b on the worksheet, "Charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction" is blank and shaded yellow. Similarly, line 10b on my Form 1040 is blank. I'm using the standard deduction, so I expected to be able to take a $300 deduction. Needless to say, the program is not factoring this deduction into my tax calculation.

Is this a bug? Have I entered something incorrectly?

No, it is not  bug, but TurboTax cannot determine if you will have other deductions to itemize so until the deductions & credits section is totally finishes and TurboTax tells you that the standard deduction is correct for you, it will not show up on the 1040.

Thanks!

I navigated through all of the "Deductions & Credits" sections, and then it confirmed that I should be using the standard deduction, and it updated the CARES Act charitable deduction properly.