Cannot file,I get:“1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable con...

jengaga23

Cannot file,I get:“1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value. Intuit tax expert said software glitch. Help?

I followed advice to get around but didn't work.
existential-mutt

Me too.  Please fix this Intuit!

KathrynG3

To get past this issue, TurboTax will need to update. It interprets any entry in the CARES Act Charitable Donations section as an override if it was entered before entering any donation information.

Some additional troubleshooting tips:

• Be sure that you have closed the program and the browser. 
  • Re-open using Chrome incognito on a PC, not a Chromebook or iPad.
  • You may want to quickly check the review to see if the error has cleared if you have been trying to follow some of the resolution steps already.

The best way to re-set the program is to use the Tax Tools area and follow the preferred sequence for entering the donation details.

Try doing this in TurboTax:

Step 1: Delete the Charitable Organization donation sheet

• From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  • Select Tools.
  • Scroll to Delete a Form.
  • Scroll to Charitable Organization and select DeleteDelete Selected Form, and Continue.
  • Select Federal from the left menu to return to your program.

Step 2: Re-add the Charitable Organization cash donation entered.

• Enter Charitable contributions in the search box.
  • Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  • Answer the questions in the interview.
    • Only Money donations count toward the above-the-line deduction when taking the standard deduction.
  • Complete the interview process by answering all donation questions and scrolling to the end of Deductions & Credits to select Wrap up tax breaks.
  • Select Continue at Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.
  • At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, you will see your full cash contributions already input in the box. Do nothing to this cell. Select Continue and Continue.

This process will allow you to claim up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150 without itemizing deductions in 2020.

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

@jengaga23

@existential-mutt

jengaga23

Thank you for the information. I was able to resolve the problem. 

1) I didn't see anything in the process that stated the $300 deduction was for money donations only. Perhaps I missed it. 

2) I went to Tools and Deleted all of the charitable donation forms that I had created. 

3) Added back the money donations, as instructed. 

4) When I got to your last bullet, it still had the original amount. So I changed it to match the new money only amount. The error ceased to appear. 

Thank you! Hope this helps others.