Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you change the Method used to determine the fair market value of stock donated to donor advised fund once it has been entereed?

The system automatically entered "comparative sales" but my information from Fidelity Charitable says "Treasury Regulation #20.2031-2" as the method.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Can you change the Method used to determine the fair market value of stock donated to donor advised fund once it has been entereed?

Treasury Regulation #20.2031 is for inherited stock with an estate valuation. It is not a gift from a donor.

Maybe I entered the amount wrong on my taxes.  I opened a Fidelity Giving Fund this year and funded it with stock.  I entered the amount of proceeds, stock name and amount of stock given to the fund under Non-Cash Charity.  I wasn’t given a chance to enter the method like I was when I entered a clothing donation to Red Cross. Is that the right place to be entering this donation?

Can you help me with a couple more Charity Questions please?

(1) I don’t know where to look for this question.  If you can guide me, it would be appreciated.  I understand that when you fund a donor-advised 501c company like Fidelity Charitable with stock, that you are limited to 30% of your AGI to claim that year.  At first I thought when I said it was stock that I had donated that TT would automatically adjust the amount that I could claim, but it didn’t.  I went back and clicked on the one where it said your amount would be limited and it let me click on 30%.   I also have clothing donations that were non-cash.  How can I tell how much I can carry forward to next year?

(2) Are clothing donations to places like Red Cross also limited, and if so is it 20% or how can you tell?

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies