turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we deduct self-employment expenses (home office related) for full year if person only had work for 6 months?

My spouse does contract consulting and we deduct business-related expenses including home office expenses. Can we deduct expenses incurred year-round or only during times when she was under contract? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Can we deduct self-employment expenses (home office related) for full year if person only had work for 6 months?

You can only deduct home office expenses for the time that your spouse was actually consulting, not for the rest of the year.

Please see TurboTax FAQ "Can I take the home office deduction?" for additional information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You can only deduct home office expenses for the time that your spouse was actually consulting, not for the rest of the year.

Please see TurboTax FAQ "Can I take the home office deduction?" for additional information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005

pkmccrary
Returning Member

I'm self employed and have been deducting for a home office for years.  But now I'm retiring at end of June.  How do I allocate mortgage interest and real estate tax for just 6 months?  The program asks for the tax and interest data off the 1098 which data is for a whole year .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies