Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sharonb269
Returning Member

Can the Irs offset my refund during covid 19?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. If you have an outstanding treasury offset, the IRS will continue to use tax refunds to recoup payments against these obligations. However, the stimulus payments will only be subject to treasury offset for past due child support only.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bpree13
Returning Member

I qualify for a stimulus payment and i still haven't got nothing. Filed my taxes on April 5 they took my dc refund my federal return is accepted but no date still waiting on a letter or something saying did they take the federal return too but nothing i dont owe child support so i should get my stimulus payment i know what is going on they sent me a letter saying it was offset my dc what is the hold up on the federal return 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these delays. Unfortunately, the IRS is woefully understaffed right now due to COVID-19, so there has been a delay in processing tax returns. 

Regarding the stimulus payment, please visit our Stimulus Registration tool to check eligibility for the stimulus.

@bpree13

bpree13
Returning Member

I understand that but they had time to send me a letter posted for the 21 for DC but the federal return was accepted on the 5 of April and that was stopping me from getting my federal return.  In my opinion the government always been trash and yes i do qualify for a stimulus even i owe because my mom got a stimulus payment and she owe the IRS close to 10 thousand dollars.  Working for the government is not all that iam guessing i have to wait until the end of the year to get my stimulus or federal return you did not help at all.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If the IRS hasn't contacted you about the federal return by the time they reopen, please reach out to them at 800 829 1040. 

Regarding the stimulus, as long as you otherwise qualify for it based on the requirements included in the link I posted above, you will receive it. If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies