Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bumper10

Can the cost for a concierge doctor be counted as medical expenses; i.e. MDVIP expenses?

I pay $1800/yr for the privilege of having better access to my doctor and different tests. Is that deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Can the cost for a concierge doctor be counted as medical expenses; i.e. MDVIP expenses?

Maybe. You said different tests. That portion could be deductible. Concierge service alone is not as a medical expense since it can cover a variety of items. The IRS has expanded what they allow it to cover.

Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses. states:

Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and for the purpose of affecting any part or function of the body. These expenses include payments for legal medical services rendered by physicians, surgeons, dentists, and other medical practitioners. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes.

Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental disability or illness. They don't include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation.

You can also take a short IRS online quiz at Can I Deduct My Medical and Dental Expenses? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmagee53

I believe we were able to deduct our $2800 annual concierge membership fees last year. I was  just checking to see if that’s still the case. I know the LTC premium was deductible, and I assumed the concierge fees were, too.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Keep in mind that... In 2022, the IRS allows all taxpayers to deduct their total qualified unreimbursed medical care expenses that exceed 7.5% of their adjusted gross income if the taxpayer uses IRS Schedule A to itemize their deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies