Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhoff333

Can taxes paid on vacant land I own be deducted on my tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Can taxes paid on vacant land I own be deducted on my tax return?

A. Yes. 

Unlike mortgage interest, which can only be deducted on your primary or 2nd home, real estate taxes may be deducted on any property you own. But, it is only an itemized deduction.  Your total itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction before you see any benefit.

If the vacant land is being held, as an investment (as opposed to personal use), alternatively, taxpayers can elect to capitalize (add it to your cost basis)  the carrying costs of unimproved and nonproductive real property, real property under development or construction and personal property before its installation or use (Regs. Sec. 1.266-1(b)(1)).  The election is made with the tax return by its due date, including extension, by attaching a statement. You cannot wait until you sell the property, but must make that election each year. Attach the statement to the return and write “Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2” on the statement. You may add the carrying costs, incurred in the year of sale, to your cost basis. https://somersetcpas.com/section-266-election-for-investment-property/

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct property taxes paid for vacant land.  The amount would be included in the taxes section of Schedule A Itemized Deductions and is subject to the $10,000 state and local taxes limit.

To go to the section of the tax return to enter this information, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax screen, click on Search  
  • This opens a box where you can type in “property tax” 
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to property tax
  • Click on the blue “Jump to property tax” link and enter your information in the second box for tax paid for land
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies