Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't enter itemized medical expenses

TT says that the standard deduction saves us the most on taxes, and this is probably true given that our expenses are not greater than 7.5% of our adjusted gross income.  But how does TT know that if we were never given an opportunity to enter our itemized medical expenses?  Under Deductions & Credits I click Medical/Visit All.  I answer "yes" to having med expenses, "none of the above" to health-related accounts, and neither of us have High Deductible Health Plans (just ACA bronze).  From that, TT concludes that the standard deduction is best.  What am I misunderstanding?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

When you go into the section for Medical, there is a section for Medical Expenses, in addition to HSA or ACA information. You can enter co-pays and other out of pocket health costs and there are multiple categories. You will not need to enter any health insurance information which was entered in your Form W-2 or the ACA section as that will transfer automatically.

Medical deduction main screen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I go to the Medical Expenses section, TT only responds that the standard deduction is best.  (BTW, it is showing some amount that looks like it is a little less than what we paid in premiums)  Could I have entered something elsewhere that is causing TT to not give me the option to itemize medical expenses?  We both have schedule Cs and I entered the health insurance premiums into the Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) section, where I also indicated that I'm self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan.  Does that explain anything?

That explains why you have some medical premium in the medical expenses.  Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Schedule 1 line 17 which goes to 1040 line 10, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Schedule 1 and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in itemized deductions, choosing. It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction. (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

Oh I see, that's interesting.  So when I check "change my deduction" it shows me the amount I've already itemized, which is substantially less than the standard deduction, so unless I'm confident that itemizing my medical expenses will more than make up the difference, it's not worth my time entering them, is that correct?

Yes,  Since the Standard Deduction has increased so many people will be switching to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".  SALT is State And Local Tax.  Which includes property tax, any state tax paid like for last year’s return and includes any state withholding from your W2s and any 1099s you have. And any taxes in W2 box 14 and 19 like SDI or VDI. You can only deduct up to 10,000 (5,000 MFS) for SALT State and Local Taxes.

For 2021 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,550 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind (14,250)

HOH 18,800 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 25,100 + 1,350 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,550 + 1,350 for 65 and over or blind

In 2023, it does not show a line to itemize medical expenses. I have the same problem as originally described that started this string. Very frustrating!

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You can enter your medical expenses in TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Within your tax return use the magnifying glass icon to search medical expenses
  2. Click the Jump to link that shows in the search results
  3. Proceed through the interview (be sure to go all the way to the end until TurboTax tells you which deduction is right for you and click Done

@carmedelle 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies