turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roncec1

Can my son claim the mortgage interest deduction on his tax return if he is not on the mortgage but he is on the property and he pays all of the payments and taxes?

My son has a separate checking account where automatic deductions from his pay check are deposited and the mortgage payments and real estate taxes are automatically take out each month.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can my son claim the mortgage interest deduction on his tax return if he is not on the mortgage but he is on the property and he pays all of the payments and taxes?

Yes. Normally, you have to meet the rules, which are:

1. You are legally obligated to pay it

2. You actually pay it.  

But, because he has an "equitable interest", in the property, he has a need to see that the mortgage and tax are paid. So, he  qualifies. Being on the deed proves "equitable interest". The "equitable interest" doctrine has been  up held by the tax court.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. Normally, you have to meet the rules, which are:

1. You are legally obligated to pay it

2. You actually pay it.  

But, because he has an "equitable interest", in the property, he has a need to see that the mortgage and tax are paid. So, he  qualifies. Being on the deed proves "equitable interest". The "equitable interest" doctrine has been  up held by the tax court.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies