Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I obtain and use a scrip for a stair lift AFTER it has been installed?

I have spinal arthritis. Late last Fall I had a cardiopulmonary effusion. When I got out of the hospital I had a stair lifter installed. If I didn't have it I would have to crawl up the stairs on all fours.  Can I ask for a script NOW and use it to deduct the cost of the stair lift as a medical expense. Can I also do that for the safety railings I had installed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Per IRS Publication 502, page 6: a chair lift falls under capital expenses. The expense of a chair lift is tax deductible if you have a prescription from a health care provider saying you need one due to health reasons. If you installed a chair lift under the advise of your doctor and he gives you a prescription for the year he advised you to get it, you should be able to deduct part of the expense. 

Remember, to get a tax benefit from your ,medical expense, the sum of all your itemized deductions, which also includes things like donations, mortgage, and property taxes, must exceed your standard deduction amount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The expense would be entered in the Deductions & Credits section

• Medical
  • Medical Expenses
  • Other
  • Then enter the description and the cost of the stair lift         

Page 6 of the IRS publication 502 shows how to determine the cost to enter in the tax return.

The general opinion seems to be that a stair lift doesn't add to the value as they are not needed by everyone and are not attractive. Since the stairlift does not add to the value of the house, you could enter the entire cost as a medical expense. Stair Lift

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Per IRS Publication 502, page 6: a chair lift falls under capital expenses. The expense of a chair lift is tax deductible if you have a prescription from a health care provider saying you need one due to health reasons. If you installed a chair lift under the advise of your doctor and he gives you a prescription for the year he advised you to get it, you should be able to deduct part of the expense. 

Remember, to get a tax benefit from your ,medical expense, the sum of all your itemized deductions, which also includes things like donations, mortgage, and property taxes, must exceed your standard deduction amount

Thanks for your response. Where would this expense be entered in Premier?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The expense would be entered in the Deductions & Credits section

• Medical
  • Medical Expenses
  • Other
  • Then enter the description and the cost of the stair lift         

Page 6 of the IRS publication 502 shows how to determine the cost to enter in the tax return.

The general opinion seems to be that a stair lift doesn't add to the value as they are not needed by everyone and are not attractive. Since the stairlift does not add to the value of the house, you could enter the entire cost as a medical expense. Stair Lift

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies