Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

whcolbert

Can I itemize deductions in South Carolina even though I am taking the standard deduction on my federal return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

Can I itemize deductions in South Carolina even though I am taking the standard deduction on my federal return?

South Carolina's tax calculation starts with Federal Taxable Income, so there is no option to itemize or take the standard deduction. Federal Taxable Income is calculated after taking federal exemptions (personal and dependency) and the standard or itemized deductions

You can preview this calculation at the SC department of revenue HERE. Also, you can take a look at your SC return currently calculating in TurboTax, by following the instructions below to Preview my 1040. Once there, you'll see a tab to the top right for your SC state returnhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

However, many states start with Federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI- a subtotal before personal/dependency exemptions and standard/itemized deductions). These states often allow taxpayers to itemize, even while taking the standard deduction at the federal level. Often this is common because it's easier to qualify to itemize at the state level. 

Maybe there's some confusion with another state? Let me know more details and I can assist you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

South Carolina's tax calculation starts with Federal Taxable Income, so there is no option to itemize or take the standard deduction. Federal Taxable Income is calculated after taking federal exemptions (personal and dependency) and the standard or itemized deductions

You can preview this calculation at the SC department of revenue HERE. Also, you can take a look at your SC return currently calculating in TurboTax, by following the instructions below to Preview my 1040. Once there, you'll see a tab to the top right for your SC state returnhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

However, many states start with Federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI- a subtotal before personal/dependency exemptions and standard/itemized deductions). These states often allow taxpayers to itemize, even while taking the standard deduction at the federal level. Often this is common because it's easier to qualify to itemize at the state level. 

Maybe there's some confusion with another state? Let me know more details and I can assist you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies