turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct travel expanses (gas, mileage, food, and hotel), when my husband pays to take his boxing boys to event?

My husband runs the local boxing club, however the monthly dues or donations do not cover travel expenses when the boys compete at events. Can my husband and I deduct the travel expenses (gas, mileage, food, and hotel) that we pay out of our own pocket? If so, to be clear would this go under donation to charity? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct travel expanses (gas, mileage, food, and hotel), when my husband pays to take his boxing boys to event?

Is the boxing club a 501(c)(3) charity? If so, you may be able to deduct those expenses.

As the coach, your husband would be operating as an official of the organization. If the club has an accountable plan (one in which you must document your expenses and provide receipts), then you are allowed to take deductions for your expenses on behalf of the club.

The catch is the 501(c)(3) part. This article from the IRS explains more about deductible travel expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies