maxf15

Can I deduct the vehicle 'tag fee' of $20 I paid to the State of Georgia? I already took the ad valorem tax refund when I bought the car two years ago... I am only asking about the annual tag fee.

AnnaB

You can only deduct "personal property taxes" that were assessed based on the value of the property (vehicle).  You cannot deduct uniform annual fees that are a set charge and are not based on the value of your vehicle.

If any portion of the tag fee was an Ad Valorem tax, or you pay annual ad valorem taxes in the future, these amounts can be deducted as personal property taxes.  Ad Valorem taxes are assessed based on the value of the vehicle and are not a uniform charge for all vehicles.

No.  The annual $20 tag fee is not deductible.