Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbarab

Can I deduct the replacement cost of my totalled car with no collision insurance?

i totalled my car and had no collision insurance and replaced it. Is this deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct the replacement cost of my totalled car with no collision insurance?

If this is for a personal vehicle, not used in a business, it is not deductible on a tax return.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  If this was a personal expense, this is not at all reportable or deductible on your return.

If this is a business used vehicle, meaning you use it for self-employment work, not work as an employee, then you would be able to list the new vehicle on your return as a vehicle and then decide how you want to take the business vehicle deduction.  By taking the standard mileage deduction or the depreciation deduction. 

You will also need to report the disposition of the vehicle you totaled on your return this was a business use vehicle and you claimed expenses for it in past years. You will walk through the business vehicle section and select that you stopped using the vehicle in 2023, then continue through to report the sale of the vehicle.

Deducting Auto Expenses

Sale and Disposition of Assets for Business

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies