Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Traveling race mechanic - health insurance deductible?

I work as a mechanic for several different race teams, traveling to various race tracks.  As an independent contractor who collects Social Security, is on Medicare and has a secondary health insurance/Medigap plan and my own workers' compensation (required by one client), what (if any) health insurance is deductible and where would I list or claim it when filing?

Also, sometimes my personal tools are "borrowed" by other mechanics at an event but are not always returned; may I claim tool replacement costs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

All of your Medicare and your Medigap premiums for the months that you are self-employed are deductible as Self-Employed Health Insurance.  You can deduct them in the Business Expense section under Other Common Business Expenses>>Insurance Payments>>Health Insurance Premiums.  

Your workers comp would be deductible as business insurance as would any liability insurance you carry.  This would again be under Other Common Business Expenses>> Insurance Payments>>Business Insurance

Yes, you would be able to deduct the cost of your replacement tools as a Miscellaneous Expense (assuming these are small hand or power tools and such and not something like a $10,000 scan tool).  The Miscellaneous Expenses are also under Other Common Business Expenses.  You will just enter the description and amount. 

If these would be large or expensive tools such as a scanner that cost $10,000, you would enter these under depreciable business assets. Then you would walk through the steps to either take a section 179 deduction or to take a depreciation deduction. 

Business Tax Deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

All of your Medicare and your Medigap premiums for the months that you are self-employed are deductible as Self-Employed Health Insurance.  You can deduct them in the Business Expense section under Other Common Business Expenses>>Insurance Payments>>Health Insurance Premiums.  

Your workers comp would be deductible as business insurance as would any liability insurance you carry.  This would again be under Other Common Business Expenses>> Insurance Payments>>Business Insurance

Yes, you would be able to deduct the cost of your replacement tools as a Miscellaneous Expense (assuming these are small hand or power tools and such and not something like a $10,000 scan tool).  The Miscellaneous Expenses are also under Other Common Business Expenses.  You will just enter the description and amount. 

If these would be large or expensive tools such as a scanner that cost $10,000, you would enter these under depreciable business assets. Then you would walk through the steps to either take a section 179 deduction or to take a depreciation deduction. 

Business Tax Deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies