turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the deferred mortgage interest added to my principal balance, and the payments applied to previously deferred interest?

The bank restructured my mortgage in 2015, as I could not make a payment for some time because I was unemployed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanH

Can I deduct the deferred mortgage interest added to my principal balance, and the payments applied to previously deferred interest?

If the deferred interest is included on your 1098 or your refinance/restructure documents and was paid during 2015, you may deduct it. If the deferred interest was rolled in to the backside of your loan and not paid, you cannot deduct it.

How to report mortgage interest 

• Go to Federal Taxes (Personal if using Home & Business)
  • Go to Deductions and Credits & click “I’ll choose what I work on”
  • Click Start across from Mortgage Interest and Refinancing in the Your Home section

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Have you received Form 1098 for Mortgage Interest paid in 2015?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dvendler

No advertising allowed
SusanH

If the deferred interest is included on your 1098 or your refinance/restructure documents and was paid during 2015, you may deduct it. If the deferred interest was rolled in to the backside of your loan and not paid, you cannot deduct it.

How to report mortgage interest 

• Go to Federal Taxes (Personal if using Home & Business)
  • Go to Deductions and Credits & click “I’ll choose what I work on”
  • Click Start across from Mortgage Interest and Refinancing in the Your Home section
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies