Can I deduct PMP exam fees, PMP exam prep classes, and PMI membership fees? If so, where?

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that either maintains or improves your job skills, or is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job.

To claim an educational expenses, you must be employed at the time of payment.

Expenses to learn a new trade or job or to qualify for a new career aren't deductible.

Not sure what "PMI" is other than private mortgage insurance. If it is an ordinary and necessary business expense, you can deduct it.

TurboTaxVinceL,

Thank you for your response.  Would I claim the PMP class in the Education section of TurboTax, or in the Deductions & Credits --> Employment Expenses section?

Did you take your PMP class at a college or university?

No, it was an online course through a company called PM Educate.  I also took a Six Sigma class through a state university in NY, and I wasn't sure where to report that cost.  I'm sorry if my previous post came from a different username, but I also help my parents with their taxes.

I am inquiring about the same question, Taking the Project Management Professional (PMP) or the Certified Associate Management Professional  (CAPM) class through The Project Management Institute. This is a class that prepares you to take the PMP or CAPM exam and if passed gain the citification titles PMP or CAPM. I am currently unemployed so this would be to boost my resume for a position in Project Management, which I have experience, but not the citification title.