turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

num06

Can I deduct medical on my AZ taxes even though I cannot on my Federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Probably yes.

"Lines 1 through 4 - Medical and Dental Expenses

Skip lines 1 through 4 if you are not deducting medical and dental expenses.

In most cases, the deduction allowed on the Arizona return will be larger than the deduction allowed on the federal return. On your Arizona return, you do not have to reduce your medical expenses by a percentage of your federal adjusted gross income.

In most cases, you may deduct more medical expenses on your Arizona return than you can deduct on your federal return. Complete lines 1 through 4 to deduct those expenses that were less than 7.5% of your federal adjusted gross income." - Instructions for Arizona Schedule A see https://azdor.gov/file/6957/download?token=6njjTLhh

View solution in original post

6 Replies
num06

How can I adjust the State return to make these changes?

I believe that TurboTax expects you to enter your medical expenses in the Medical part of the federal return (Federal->Deduction & Credits->Medical) even though they won't be deductible on the federal return. In the Arizona interview, you will be asked about itemized deductions (you will want to say "yes"), and then you can confirm the expenses that carried down from the federal return.
num06

Thank you.
num06

Please take me directly to the State  Medical deduction page. I can’t seem to be able to do that.

First, you should have entered your Medical expenses on your federal return. Then in the Arizona return, as you navigate through it, you will see a screen headed "Itemize Deductions". Answer "yes" to the question of "Do you want to itemize Arizona deductions?" The next screen is Medical and Dental Expenses where you can enter the net expenses.

Probably yes.

"Lines 1 through 4 - Medical and Dental Expenses

Skip lines 1 through 4 if you are not deducting medical and dental expenses.

In most cases, the deduction allowed on the Arizona return will be larger than the deduction allowed on the federal return. On your Arizona return, you do not have to reduce your medical expenses by a percentage of your federal adjusted gross income.

In most cases, you may deduct more medical expenses on your Arizona return than you can deduct on your federal return. Complete lines 1 through 4 to deduct those expenses that were less than 7.5% of your federal adjusted gross income." - Instructions for Arizona Schedule A see https://azdor.gov/file/6957/download?token=6njjTLhh

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies